INTERNSHIP BLOG

Week 1 (02/01/2024) - Week 8 (07/03/2024)
Faith Aimee Choong Jia Yi / 0345509
Industry Training [INT60204]


This blog is about my day-to-day life as an intern at KANOEWEAR.





KANOEWEAR
Noelle Kan, the founder of KANOEWEAR, characterizes her fashion brand KANOE as a tropical child, expressing an interest in wonders and a desire to collect beauty from diverse sources to wear in urban tropical climate. KANOE was founded in 2016. KANOE is a brand featuring modern day wear batik garments that are one of a kind and exclusive.
Having a huge interest in Fashion Design, she studied in Sydney and obtained a scholarship during her finals to do a masters at Fashion in Arts in Florence, Italy. Upon returning back to her homeland Malaysia, she voyage on various journeys and influenced by various cultures and environments that shaped her identity, to make KANOE. A platform that fosters sustainable living through clothing.
They firmly believe in zero waste and have worked closely with refugee groups in Malaysia who are affiliated with fair trade organisations. They have recently begun assisting local batik artisans in their passion and craft by collaborating alongside them.
Batik evokes a sense of nostalgia. KANOE is proud brand to be a pioneer of bringing back traditional art into our daily lives and in the future. They adore how batik expresses it’s own individuality as well as it’s culture and traditions for our dear nation.

R-15-3, Subang Olives, SS16/1, Subang Jaya, 47500, Selangor, malaysia
+6011 - 35250377
heythere@kanoewear.com

Socials:

Instagram: @kanoewear
Facebook: Kanoe
Tiktok: @kanoewear



WEEK 1:
I worked at the studio on weekdays, for 4 days, and worked, for 1 day, at the retail store at REXKL on weekends. During the first week of the internship, I learned how to package orders for customers and fulfill orders once I packaged the items. I also learned to photograph the new launch items from different angles (front, back, and close-up) and the model wearing the new launch items for the Chinese New Year. As the days got closer to the weekends, I started making retail decorations for the upcoming Chinese New Year season. I had to make Koi fish templates out of cardboard and embellish them with batik scraps. 

At the retail store, we are allowed to wear Kanoe garments, as it promotes the garments to customers. And we have to change them weekly so that we get a different variation. I was allowed to model the new launch items for Kanoe's collaboration with REXKL. During my retail days, I went around REXKL wearing different garments and my boss took photographs and videos of me wearing the garment around REXKL. At the same time, I also learned the basics of being a sales assistant. I was given a brief introductory tour of where each item and extra stocks were being kept in the store. 

PHOTOS & [VIDEOS- OPTIONAL] OF WEEK 1:

Package Orders

Pictures of Customer's Orders to post on Instagram

Product Shots

Photoshoot Photography

Making Retail Decorations

Retail Store

Model for REXKL X Kanoe Instagram Collaboration Post


WEEK 2:
I worked at the studio on weekdays, for 4 days, and worked, for 1 day, at the retail store at REXKL on weekends. During the second week of my internship, I package orders from customers daily, as it is like our start-up routine before we continue with the other work that we have. For the second week, I had to make more Koi fish templates for the retail store, as it was not enough. What I learned was how to tag the garments as well as list new items on the website store. As usual, I garment steamed and took photographs of the newly launched items and learned how to compare the pictures to the original as well as adjust the angles. 

At the retail store, I was reminded and briefly instructed by my boss to greet customers and aid them when they need help or make requests as Kanoe has a reputation for giving good customer service. And it is important to maintain those standards so that it increases more loyal customers and networks. After working at the studio, I remember most of the products and where they are placed in the retail store as well as which items are fast selling. I also learned to use the cash register and card scanner device more than the 1st week, as I had to get used to it. I was informed of which bags to pack for different items starting from the small to big ones. I still need help remembering the prices of the items and where it is placed in the inventory. 

PHOTOS & [VIDEOS- OPTIONAL] OF WEEK 2:

Retail Decorations

Clothing Tags

Listing Products on Website Store

Garment Steaming

Retail Store


WEEK 3:
I worked at the studio on weekdays, for 4 days, and worked, for 1 day, at the retail store at REXKL on weekends. During the third week of my internship, I package orders from customers daily, as it is like our start-up routine before we continue with the other work that we have. For the third week, I mainly took Instagram content of the new restock items and also listed them on the webpage store. I was also mainly the model for this week because we had to take photoshoots of the new restock items so that they could be uploaded onto the webpage store. A new thing I did for this week was to create a presentation explaining the brand identity of KANOE. 

At the retail store, I greeted customers, as usual, aided them if they required any assistance or had certain requests, organized stock, used the cash registry, etc.

PHOTOS & [VIDEOS- OPTIONAL] OF WEEK 3:

Instagram Reels Content Taking

Presentation for KANOE

Modeling & Photoshoot for New Tote Bag Stock

Garment Steaming

Model for New CNY Collection

Model for New Tote Bags

Retail Store


WEEK 4:
I worked at the studio on weekdays, for 3 days, and worked, for 2 days, at the retail store at REXKL on weekends. During the fourth week of internship, it's mainly just listing and taking photographs and content of new item launches. This week, I learned how to tackle customer issues like wrong phone numbers and sold-out items that need to be exchanged. I also learned more in-depth how to create a brand identity presentation. As well as making Instagram story content to promote items or set reminders for customers. 

At the retail store, there weren't many customers, which resulted in fewer sales. But as usual, I greeted customers, aided them if they required any assistance or had certain requests, organized stock, used the cash registry, etc. A new thing I learned, was how to do settlement.

PHOTOS & [VIDEOS- OPTIONAL] OF WEEK 4:

Instagram Story Content

Instagram Story Content

Instagram Story Content

Instagram Story Content

Item Photography

BTS Packaging Customer Orders

Retail Store [Saturday]

Retail Store [Sunday]


WEEK 5:
I worked at the studio on weekdays, for 5 days, and worked, for 1 day, at the retail store at REXKL on weekends. During the fifth week of my internship, it's mainly packed orders for customers, put strings into new tags, and took photographs of the new items and Valentine's Day content. I also made the Instagram reel for REXKL x KANOE collaboration for CNY 2024. 

At the retail store, I did the usual, greeted customers, aided them if they required any assistance or had certain requests, organized stock, used the cash registry, etc. A new thing I learned, was how to put the discounts after adding the items to the cart on the registry.

PHOTOS & [VIDEOS- OPTIONAL] OF WEEK 5:

Organizing New Fabric Stock

Editing Item Photos

Putting strings into New Tags

Packaging

Taking Image Template Photos

Valentine's Day Content Shooting

Editing REXKL Reel

Retail Store


WEEK 6:
I worked at the studio on weekdays, for 4 days and took 1 day off for Chinese New Year holidays. During the sixth week of my internship, I packed orders for customers, took photos of new items launched, made Instagram stories about deliveries, showed off customer orders, promoted CNY2024 collection items, and promoted Lalamove deliveries. I learned quite a lot during this week. I learned how to do social media advertising and market research, give good customer service, add items to inventory, make product templates for online stores, and learn how to cancel delivery shipment orders and replace them with other courier services. I also mainly design Instagram templates, on Canva, to prepare for the Chinese New Year season. 

I didn't work at the retail store this week due to the Chinese New Year.

PHOTOS & [VIDEOS- OPTIONAL] OF WEEK 6:

Instagram Story: Countdown for CNY

Making CNY Instagram templates

Editing Product Photos

Instagram Story: Promoting CNY collection

Instagram Story: Customer Order's

WEEK 7:
I worked at the studio on weekdays and at the retail store on weekends, for 2 days, and took 1 day off on Friday. During the seventh week of internship, I packed orders for customers, re-checked the scheduled launched items on the website store, added quantity items to the RexKL store via online, put strings on the tags, and prepared the outfits for a photoshoot on the newly launched items. I was given the opportunity again to become the model for the photoshoot. We did the photoshoot at a cafe as well as the area around outside. However, we needed to re-shoot the photoshoot again, as my boss disapproved of the photo content.

At the retail store, I greeted customers, aided them if they required assistance or had certain requests, organized stock, used the cash registry, etc. A new thing I learned today, was how to tackle customers by giving them a formal apologetic message when there are limited stocks available. 

PHOTOS & [VIDEOS- OPTIONAL] OF WEEK 7:

Preparing the outfits for shoot  [Next Week]

Preparing the outfits for shoot [Next Week]

Photoshoot

Photoshoot BTS

Retail Store [Saturday]


Retail Store [Sunday]

WEEK 8:
I worked at the studio on weekdays, for 5 days, and at the retail store on weekends, for 1 day. During the eighth week of my internship, I packed orders for customers, mainly packing, preparing, and tagging items for Chinahouse in Penang and items prepared and ready to give REXKL, and adding the quantity to the registry in REXKL. In addition, we also did two photoshoots with me as the model, to promote the newly launched items on socials. As well as washing stains off the fabric.

At the retail store, I greeted customers, aided them if they required assistance or had certain requests, organized stock, used the cash registry, etc.

PHOTOS & [VIDEOS- OPTIONAL] OF WEEK 8:

Instagram Story

Limited Item Model Shoot (BTS)

Tagging Items for REXKL

Sewing Buttons on Tags 

Washing Fabric Stains

Mix & Match Coasters (Sets of 2)

Adding Section for New Items

Packing Orders

Tagging Items

Retail Store


REFLECTION:
Studio:

I enjoyed most of the work I have been delegated to do at the studio. I have not been in operations before so this internship was a good experience for me to learn and experience how the work is done in operations. I enjoyed the work I did during my internship especially when it comes to photoshoots and content creation. At the same time, I enjoyed styling with KANOE garments before shooting and styling the look in terms of accessorizing and hairstyling. 

I wasn't a big fan of colors and batik, but working at KANOE inspired me and I started showing more appreciation toward Malaysian batik culture and heritage. I also got more outfit inspiration with batik clashing it with my style. I learn a new technique on how to match colors with other colors despite having a pattern on it. 


Retail Store:

I had a fun time working at REXKL. I love the environment in REXKL as all of our customers are super friendly and open, and it's nice to see different customers from different countries. I would say it was also a good experience as I had never been a sales assistant before and a customer told me, that I had a gift in promoting. It was fun to interact with the customers and offer them styling tips when they were about to buy KANOE. 


As for the working environment, I love how all my colleagues are friendly and nice here at KANOE we have a rule stating: that we are not to gossip or talk bad about others behind their backs. We are to treat everyone how we want to be treated by others and to work together in a team to find solutions to problems. 


OPPORTUNITIES & MEMORIES:

One thing I'll miss the most at KANOE is the people. I love how everyone is so open and friendly to one another. Whenever we face problems we tackle it as a team, we don't put the blame on one person. Especially working at the retail store in REXKL, I'll never forget the smiles on those happy customers who purchase KANOE and I'm so happy to be able to talk to so many people from other continents of the world. The vibe and energy is very KANOEwee. 

This brand allowed me to model a couple of times for their collaborations with REXKL and with their small launches. I love modeling for photoshoots at the same time styling myself with KANOE garments. It was like working with your interest. And it also gave me some understanding of the protocalls of modeling for a brand. 

I'm so glad to have made new friends working at KANOE, and I would like to thank my boss, Noelle and all the other staff at studio and at REXKL for welcoming me warmly and sharing moments together with me. We had a lot of ups and downs together but it was worth it. Had so much fun working at KANOE.





WHAT I'VE GAINED & LEARNT:

I learned a lot from this internship. I didn't feel like I was an intern at KANOE, more like a full-time worker. I was delegated work tasks that aren't internship level and I felt that it was a good experience. At KANOE, I learned things the hard way, I had to face a couple of problems that I had to tackle on my own. A few of the problems were regarding wrong orders, out-of-stock items, customer complains and etc. At first, it was quite intimidating, I felt like this internship was too much for me but it made me realize how important it is to own a brand and carry out operations properly. I have made mistakes and I've learned to find solutions to problems whenever they come my way.

From this internship, I have gained knowledge, experience, and understanding. Knowledge on how to run a brand, and how to live up to the brand expectations as well as loyalty to customers. I learned how to tackle problems with shipments, customers, wrong orders, etc. Understanding of the brand style, what makes KANOE, KANOE, and how to style myself by the brand whilst expressing my own individuality. 

This internship will benefit me in my future career as it teaches me the operation side of fashion, and how the process is done accordingly. Instead of having to learn fashion only at university, the internship has taught me the industrial side of fashion. Especially on how to run a business even if it's a small brand.



LESSONS I'VE LEARNED:
  • How to do market research and know more about the target audience and what they want to see. 
  • I learned a new technique on how to match colors with other colors despite having a pattern on it. 
  • Finding solutions to problems that come across.
  • Dealing with customers politely. Customer loyalty.
  • How to run operations in a brand business.
  • How to keep up with your brand stands.

Comments

Popular Posts